Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Right Kind of Professional Development


I know I complain a lot about the various meetings that my supervisors make us attend because most of them are pointless and just waste our valuable time. Back in January I was sent an email from one of my supervisors asking me if I wanted to attend a slew of technology PDs; however, many of them were very similar to the workshops that we have for TEAM, so I politely declined. A few days later I received another email from her asking me if I wanted to attend The New York City Forum to Accelerate Middle-Grades Reform. I thought it sounded interesting, so I read on . . . the featured speaker was going to be Will Richardson. I figured that this was not an opportunity that I could pass up, so I got permission to go and have been anxiously awaiting my March 5th, trip to St. John's University to hear him speak.

He was simply amazing!

Of all the meetings I've attended over my three years of teaching this on was by far the best. I felt like I truly was learning and discussing things that were relevant and important. He even made a few references to his book Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms, which I have been reading (and I highly recommend). He also gave us a link to his wiki that contains all of the information that he spoke about. If you ever get the opportunity to see him speak, take it! I know I will again!

3 comments:

D said...

Hey Keri:

I used Fireworks to make the banner. I pretty much followed the instructions given to us on Karen's wiki. A good portion of that is the result of trial and error. I used a lot of commands under the "modify" heading on the tool bar. I wish I could be more specific, but I don't remember everything I did.

Will Richardson said...

Hey Keri,

Thanks so much for those kind words about my presentation. Really glad you enjoyed it. Best of luck in your work with your students and these technologies!

Will

Karen Kliegman said...

Keri,
I have had the good fortune to see Will Richardson at a couple of conferences. He is one of those pioneers that we all need to pay attention to, along with a few others, such as David Warlick. Lucky that you got to see him!