Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Art of Building Virtual Communities


Teachers typically are interpersonal learners. Let’s face it, if we weren’t, why would we voluntarily go into a profession where we’re getting up in front of a group of people? Therefore it’s only natural for us to seek out places for us to communicate with other like-minded teachers. Sometimes the physical communities that we find ourselves in are too constricting and thus limiting.


Information Age, rest in pieces. This is the Collaboration Age.

We can all connect instantly across time zones and oceans. Previously impossible partnerships now produce startling innovations. And the four walls of your classroom no longer limit your students’ reach.

To thrive in this always-on community, students and teachers must become agile learners, creators, and collaborators. Their success and our country’s future depend on it.

It’s tough for educators to meet this challenge when the No Child Left Behind law feeds a national obsession with the what of knowledge, not the how. But they can. They must. And some already do.”


The Collaborative Generation is the feature article in the December 2008/January 2009 issue of Edutopia. Will Richardson wrote the feature article, World Without Walls, but the section began with the aforementioned quote. I found it to be very thought-provoking. Who started this Collaborative Generation? When did it start? Who is a part of it?


By nature teachers collaborate, we are a breed that shares. When I find something that I think is a great resource, or something that the students might enjoy, I will share it with you, etc., etc. The web enables educators to create Virtual Learning Communities, similar to those that we have already established within our schools or our neighborhoods, however; in these VPL’s the person who you are sharing a great idea for a lesson with might be 2,000 miles away, instead of right next door.


The concept of “networking” has been around for quite a while. But it has always had one of two places: either in the business world, or in the social realm. I am wondering if what this Collaborative Generation is doing is just expanding the concept of “networking” to the world of education. I have recently joined “social networking” groups for educational purposes. Where we discuss educational topics, socially.


I have not yet ventured into the realm of Listservs. Not because I do not find what they have to offer appealing. On the contrary, I do find them to be quite appealing, and what I have read/heard about them is all positive and even rewarding. The only reason why I have not joined a Listserv, is because I do not want to become another “lurker”. At this point in time I do not think I have the time to dedicate to keeping up with another network. When I have some more time, well then the opportunities for collaborations are endless aren’t they?



No comments: