Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Flash

Up to now the extent of my Flash usage has been pretty minimal. It has been primarily contained to computer games (yes I’m a gamer) and the occasional website that has a flashy header (pun intended) or annoying advertisements. Even though I knew I’d learn tons more about computers, I don’t think I ever thought I’d learn how to make Flash animation. My first attempt at it was extremely poor, and has absolutely no place in the classroom. It literally shows a ball bouncing around the screen, and a blue hand (if you can call it that) chasing it.

As an educator, I know the value of Flash in the classroom. The textbook that I use for ELA, WriteSource contains a CD that has a number of Flash animation exercises that my students do enjoy playing. We run it as a game, and give the students turns up at the SMARTBoard. I love giving my students the opportunity to play with educational games, and explore in ways that I did not have.

I hope that soon my skills with Flash improve somewhat so that what I create is a little bit better than my first attempt; however, I do not think that anything I make will ever compare to Carnegie Hall Listening Adventures, which I think would be an absolutely amazing resource for a music teacher. It broke the piece down, and assigned visuals to each individual selection.

1 comment:

kate said...

I remember the time I first started to learn flash,I just felt frustrated. But I guess it just takes time and practice and willingness to learn.Eventually I got better.. at least I think I did :) It's great tool for teaching kids it capturse their interest.I wrote a post about a book I found helpful. It might be helpful to you too. Cheers! Kate