Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shift Happens!

While I found the video on Youtube to be a little on the long side, I found the message to be quite profound. No matter what I do as a teacher, "Shift Happens!"

About six and a half minutes in, the video said: "We are currently preparing students for jobs and technologies that don’t yet exist…in order to solve problems that we don’t even know are problems yet." I had to pause the video to think about the meaning of this statement. No matter what I do as a teacher, "Shift Happens!"

A few minutes later they quoted Einstein . . . “We can’t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” I wonder what the world will be like for my 7th and 8th graders when they're in high school, or college, or beyond . . . I wonder what the world will be like in ten years, when China is the number one English speaking country? But I guess what it comes down to is no matter what I do, "Shift Happens!"

1 comment:

Danielle said...

The video was long, I'll agree but the message was so powerful. But you nailed it right on the head no matter what we do as teachers "Shift Happens." I think the future will be very interesting!!